Monday, October 8, 2007

Decluttering


One thing I truly enjoy, as many of my friends seem to, is organizing and decluttering. Although I really don't like having to move, one thing I love is going through the boxes of stuff we have and getting rid of a lot of it that has piled up.

I just took another few boxes to the Salvation Army Thrift Store and it feels so good to 1) be able to pass it on to someone who may be able to use it and 2) get rid of it and have less stuff.

To me, it's amazing how freeing decluttering and organizing life can be. After having my son, I finally understood what so many of my friends and family had discovered earlier on, most likely with their first kids ... kids toys build up quickly and kids only "need" a few items otherwise they are overwhelmed.

I have already gotten rid of some toys my son, who is 18-months-old, received because he just doesn't have room for them.

One thing I have learned through this as well is that keeping every item from every experience is silly. Not only do have so much you never actually look at it again, but it also just takes up more space.

Additionally, the more "stuff" I have, I find more distractions in my relationship with God and more difficulties focusing on my faith life.

I mean, who really needs the VHS of a movie they really liked when they were younger...we realized since our wedding five years ago, we have watched a total of 3 or 4 VHS tapes, mostly in the first year.

So one of my current goals is to not have items in storage with the exception of items like baby clothes that we may not be using today but may likely use again in six months. I find a lot of times I don't even remember what I got rid of and the most difficult part is letting go of whatever it is.

I try to go through the house once or twice a year and always feel so relived once i get through it. Afterwards, I often find it easier to relax and focus on life more fully and what is truly important.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania
I'm a mommy, wife and educated woman with an inquisitive mind. I am always looking in ways to challenge and grow in my faith. Many wise people I have known have reminded me if I am not growing, I am going in the wrong direction.