Friday, October 26, 2007

Five Years Ago....


Five years ago I began a journey with my husband I never could have predicted much of the path. We smile when we think about how much we couldn't understand about marriage until we were married and know there's so much more we will learn in the years to come.

We never imagined five years would lead us through two graduate degree programs, four states we have called home, five pregnancies, several of which ended in miscarriage and unimaginable feelings of loss, bigger fights than we had ever imagined and more love than we can express. So many people spend so much time preparing for their wedding, but not their marriage, which is a big mistake. The wedding lasts a day, the marriage lasts the rest of your life.

I remember when we began dating thinking, "I have never been this close to someone in my life. He's my best friend and I can't imagine it getting better."

Then I remember on our wedding day thinking,"I knew nothing when we started dating, but now I really know this person. I know what to expect. I know what I love and hate. I can't imagine it getting any better."

Five years later we laugh at how much we couldn't have predicted or known. I still feel like I can't imagine a better life, with all the ups and downs, but I now know this relationship is a journey, always changing, growing and evolving. I pray five, 10 and 15 years down the road we look back and seen we've grown that much more together.

So this day is to honor my husband for who he is and how he challenges me every day to be a better person. I look forward to many more years of anniversaries together. I pray we continue to grow together to serve God and each other through our lives and actions.

PS: I didn't make the quiche yesterday due to several factors, so I switched gears. Instead I learned how embed a search engine on a web site specific to that particular site. For what I do, it's a very helpful tool:). Today I am not sure what I am going to tackle, but it will be something fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I didn't realize that our weddings were so close together; Nick and I were married August 3, 2002.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I thought it was 4! I could have sworn we brought Emma to your wedding....no, now I remember the dress I wore to show off my small preggo belly!

Obsessedwithlife said...

Congrats! Sorry I'm tardy. Just got back in town...

About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania
I'm a mommy, wife and educated woman with an inquisitive mind. I am always looking in ways to challenge and grow in my faith. Many wise people I have known have reminded me if I am not growing, I am going in the wrong direction.