Saturday, December 8, 2007

Go Home And Love Your Family

I find it rather ironic and sad that those we love the most often see the worst sides of us. I heard a comment on the radio to that effect the other day and was reminded to examine myself and see what my family sees.

I think about all the times I am so stressed out or frustrated or in a fight and then the phone rings and the caller on the other end has no idea anything is even wrong because my voice changes, my tone changes and suddenly nothing is wrong.

When I have a friend or acquaintance do something that really frustrates me, I rarely say anything, but if it is my husband, all too often I am quick to get more frustrated than the situation warrants.

I know I am not the only one who does this. I do feel like you need to be able to have off moments. Let's face it - everyone does. But sometimes when I am in a funk it seems my husband and kids get more off moments than good moments. Granted we do get to know all the little idiosincracies living with another person and there are going to be things that drive you nuts. Then I think of the movie Good Will Hunting where Robin Williams is describing how he remembers his wife farting in bed in her sleep. He says:

Ah...! But Will, she’s been dead for 2 years, and that's the stuff I remember: wonderful stuff you know? Little things like that. Those are the things I miss the most. The little idiosyncrasies that only I know about: that's what made her my wife. Oh she had the goods on me too, she knew all my little peccadilloes. People call these things imperfections, but there not. Ah, that's the good stuff.
It's then that I have to sit down and think about why I get so worked up. My family means more to me than any other people in the world and this is how I show it. Usually when I examine what is happening, I quickly realize the "problems" that seem to put me in such a bad mood really are not too bad. They may still drive me nuts, but I just have to get over them.

My challenge for myself this Advent season is to really act with love toward those I do love. Life is too short and you never know how much time you really have left. I'm sure if I died tomorrow I would not regret not getting upset more often, but I may think about the missed opportunities to show love and compassion toward those who mean so much to me and the times I didn't show forgiveness when it really needed to be shown.

When Mother Teresa received her Nobel Prize she was asked, 'What can we do to help promote world peace?' Her answer; 'Go home and love your family.'
Amen! Let's do that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN sister!!!! Amen!!!

I LOVE that scene from Good Will Hunting - I remember that Tim and I laughed about that reference our whole first year of marriage - simply delighting in farting in bed! lol!!!

You are right - let's just let go and love the ones we're with!

Anonymous said...

So true. Something for all of us to think about.
MOM

Obsessedwithlife said...

Love you!

About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania
I'm a mommy, wife and educated woman with an inquisitive mind. I am always looking in ways to challenge and grow in my faith. Many wise people I have known have reminded me if I am not growing, I am going in the wrong direction.