Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A Sudden Loss

What do you say when one of your friends suddenly dies? One of my longtime friends whom I spent a lot of time with in high school had a massive heart attack last week and after the family getting a report that no brain activity was found, they are removing his life support today. What really strikes me is that he was my age....literally... within a few weeks of my age. He wasn't even 29 yet. He leaves behind a baby the same age as our little boy and a wife. I don't even know my place in grieving with them. Most of the people we hung out with were related (siblings, cousins, etc.) and we are not family members.

The truth is, I rarely saw him after college, but I still care very much about him and the others from that group. I can't even imagine the pain and anguish they must be feeling right now. I can't travel home for the funeral, since I am on bed rest, but wish so badly I could join them in grieving in the same place they are.

He was such a good soul and was always fun and likeable. He was very much like one of my brothers and I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that today, they are removing life support. Today he is physically dying. I have to remember that although this is happening today, his soul likely left his body last week.

I pray that all of his family is comforted during this time of imaginable loss and that his little girl always knows what a good guy her dad really was.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania
I'm a mommy, wife and educated woman with an inquisitive mind. I am always looking in ways to challenge and grow in my faith. Many wise people I have known have reminded me if I am not growing, I am going in the wrong direction.