Friday, February 22, 2008

Thrifty Thursday - Digital TV Transition - Converter Coupon


Yes I know it's Friday, but whatever:).

Therefore, next year, television will no longer be broadcast in analog and the television signals are to be converted to digital. I am not an expert, by any means, but have figured out this means our television, which does not have a digital converter box, will be obsolete. After a bit more research, I found out that I don't have to go out and buy a new TV if we want to still have TV (much to my husband's dismay).

First of all, if you get cable, I believe you don't have to make any major changes until 2012, but don't quote me on that.

If you are not getting an HDTV or DTV anytime soon and we would like to still have our basic stations even. You can get a coupon for $40 off a converter box (they are supposed to retail at between $50 and $60) while the coupons last.

Click here to get your coupon.

2 comments:

Andy Huckaba said...

Maria, You're correct, if you are connected to a cable box, you don't have to worry. The cable box acts as a digital to analog converter so your analog tv will be able to pick up the signals just fine. If you don't have a cable box, that's where you'll run into trouble on February 17, 2009. All signals at that point will be digital and the old rabbit ears won't work anymore. The converter boxes that will be sold everywhere will do this conversion for you. By-the-way, it is estimated that over 20% of the population still use over-the-air signals instead of going through a cable company or satellite dish. That's a lot of people to convert!

Mamacita said...

Obviously I have spent little time researching it, jus ta bit too busy right now:). Thanks for confirming the details.

Twenty percent is a lot to convert. Eventually all the TVs that exist now that aren't DTV will be obsolete, but isn't that how it goes:)?

About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania
I'm a mommy, wife and educated woman with an inquisitive mind. I am always looking in ways to challenge and grow in my faith. Many wise people I have known have reminded me if I am not growing, I am going in the wrong direction.